Yakutat is the farthest northwestern portion of the SE Alaska Birding Trail. Although remote, Yakutat is well worth the trip and easy to access with daily jet service from Seattle, Juneau, Cordova, and Anchorage. If you prefer, you can also travel by ferry on the Alaska Marine Highway system. Yakutat is a scenic coastal village with a rich Alaska Native culture. The village is surrounded by beautiful beaches and stunning scenery including the Gulf of Alaska, Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Tongass National Forest, Mount St. Elias, and the Hubbard Glacier. The community of Yakutat celebrates the return of its birds each spring with the annual Yakutat Tern Festival, a wonderful event with unique birding opportunities as well as opportunities to experience local art and culture. Don’t miss this stop on the birding trail!
The Yakutat Tern Festival is an annual celebration of the natural and cultural resources of Yakutat, Alaska. The Festival is typically planned for late May or early June. Birders planning a trip to Yakutat should consider planning their trip so they are in town during this festival! Yakutat hosts one of the largest and southern most known nesting colonies of Aleutian Terns as well as Arctic Terns and up to 200 other bird species that nest in or migrate through the area each spring. The following links have information on this annual birding festival.
General Area Overview Information Sources:
- Yakutat Chamber of Commerce
- US Forest Service Yakutat Ranger District
- US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map for Yakutat
- National Park Service Wrangell St. Elias - Yakutat Area
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game - Yakutat Birding and Wildlife Viewing
- Yakutat Ranger District - Recreation: Trails and Cabins
- Yakutat Area Map
- Medical clinic
Yakutat Birding Resources:
- US Forest Service Yakutat Area Birding Guide
- US Forest Service - Birding on the Yakutat Ranger District
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game - Yakutat Birding Checklist
- Birds of Yakutat - B. Andres 2010
- The Summer Birds of Yakutat Bay 1939
- Marine Birds of Yakutat Bay 2013
- Audubon Important Bird Area - Yakutat Bay
- Audubon Important Bird Area - Black Sand Spit
- eBird - Yakutat Alaska
Sites in Yakutat
Birding Photo: Ben Sullender
Are you ready for the Southeast Alaska Birding Trail?
Find gear lists, birding tips, and general advice.