Coffman Cove is a small community of less than 200 people located on the northeast side of Prince of Wales Island. Surrounded by the Tongass National Forest and adjacent to Clarence Strait, this town has a variety of services and businesses to support visitors wanting to explore the surrounding areas on Prince of Wales Island. Lodging availability is limited so plan ahead.
Many Prince of Wales communities are connected to each other through an extensive road system and island access route (ferry terminal in Hollis). The road connectivity of these communities enables visitors to utilize resources that may be limited in smaller communities, such as medical services.
General Area Overview and Information Sources:
- Prince of Wales Chamber of Commerce
- City of Coffman Cove
- US Forest Service: Tongass National Forest
- US Forest Service: Coffman Cove Motor Vehicle Use Map (PDF)
- US Forest ServiceNorth POW Area Motor Vehicle Use Map (PDF)
- Coffman Cove Clinic, 102 Harpoon Way; (907) 874-4700
Birding and Wildlife Resources:
Sites in Coffman Cove
Birding Photo: Ben Sullender
Are you ready for the Southeast Alaska Birding Trail?
Find gear lists, birding tips, and general advice.