March 1-June 1
Great American Arctic Birding Challenge Flyer
Contains the contest rules and prizes--share with your chapter or birding club!
Birds from six continents rely on America's Arctic in Alaska for nesting, breeding, staging, and molting; their ranges reach across the Lower 48 states and beyond. Birdwatchers from around the United States can test their skills in the Great American Arctic Birding Challenge this spring to find the most birds in their state from the contest checklist of Arctic birds. The contest runs from March 1 through June 1 so that birders all over the U.S. can spot birds as they migrate.
Try to beat last year's champions: 144 species in Alaska or 126 species in the Lower 48!
- Recruit your team (up to six people). Find a warbler expert, your friend with the top-of-the-line scope, or someone with supersonic hearing to identify those sparrow calls...or head out with your regular birding buddies.
- Record your birds. If a team member identifi es a bird by sight or sound, mark it on the Great American Arctic Birding Challenge checklist
- Take your time and enjoy. Th is is a spring migration challenge-you have the entire spring to scour the countryside.
- Submit your checklist. Submit your list online before midnight (Alaska time!) or have it postmarked by June 1, 2014.
There are two categories: Alaska and Lower 48. All sightings must be within the geographic boundaries of the categories. There will be First, Second, and Third place prizes for each category. Each member of the First, Second, and Third place teams will receive a prize.
- First Place: The book Arctic Wings: Birds of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, full of gorgeous photos of the birds that migrate to the Arctic to nest, with stories of how they connect the globe. Includes a CD of Arctic bird songs.
- Second Place: Audubon Alaska ball cap featuring a Northern Goshawk.
- Third Place: Audubon T-shirt.
- Snowy Owl Bonus: Since this winter has seen many wandering Snowy Owls, teams that find a Snowy Owl will receive Audubon Alaska 2014 Bird of the Year window decals.
We will announce the winning teams by June 30.
Submit your completed checklist to:
Attn: Beth Peluso
Great American Arctic Birding Challenge
441 West Fifth Avenue, Suite 300
Anchorage, AK 99508
Email: Beth Peluso
Fax: (907) 276-5069(907) 276-5069 (Please email or call to confirm receipt of your fax.)